Wednesday 15 February 2012

Q3 Modding: Conversion Mods

Ok I have a confession to make. Some of the Stand-Alone Mods in the last post can run as Total Conversion Mods, and some of these Total Conversion Mods run as Stand-Alone. But let's take a look anyway. First I am going to list some Conversion Mods, mods that are complete new games. Then I will list some Game-Play Mods, mods that add new aspects to the game, or sometimes change the game all up but still uses original models, weapons, and/or maps. I was going to do them as two separate posts, but I see no point. There are A LOT of mods, I'm not going to go through them all, but I'm going to take a look at a few that I have come across.

Ultimately, all these mods and more can be found on ModDB and/or Desura

Turtle Arena
Turtle Arena
This is a conversion mod but you will find the menus are still very similar to Q3A. This is basically Ninja Turtles and is still in early stages of development which results in a bit buggy game play, but it is still cool to check out. I haven't tried the 4 player split screen, but split screen was also meant to be a feature coming to the ioquake3 engine. This game actually runs as a stand alone.

Navy Seals: CO
Navy Seals: Covert Operations
This game I found a little difficult to get the hang of. It is a tactical style game where you play as a team trying to protect something or steel something. I'm not sure if there are other missions as well. There's lots of customisations you can do to the models, adding accessories and what not. This game runs as a mod.

Q3Rally
Q3Rally
A car racing mod for Q3A. I had a go at racing around a track and the car physics are quite impressive, it had a nice fluid feel. I think there is some kind of battle mode as well but I didn't chance across it. There are multiple websites with multiple versions for this mod, the one I played played as a mod, where as I have read that it is now a stand alone game.

Bid for Power
Bid for Power
I played a very early version of this much when the file size was much smaller, it is now 2 gigabytes. This is a Dragonball Z mod, I ran it as a mod but I think it has it's own stand alone version now. I've never been a fan of Dragonball Z, but this game is quite fun. You have energy which you use for your attacks, flying, and what not. There is an old extra add on called Bid for Speed which was made to compliment Big for Power, but I don't think it is recent any more and considering the game is so huge now I don't think it needs anything extra.


I'm going to list here a few more conversion mods which I haven't tried. Some of their official pages don't seem to work any more. A lot of them have broken links to planet quake which features a lot of quake mods and extras.

Gundam Universe -  spanning all of the Gundam anime series.
Rivalry of Legends - Transformers style.
True Combat - action packed realism.
The Dark Conjunction - a single player apocalyptic reality game.
Midget Wars - 3rd person team based multi-player.
Military Forces - what I would assume is a plane style version of Q3Rally.

Reaction Quake - this one looked really nice but I couldn't seem to join play, lots of maps
True Combat - a bit like urban terror but, lots of maps


Now, if you're even still reading, let's take a look at some game play mods. These are mods that change aspects of game play, enabling things like rapid fire or high jump, or more advance features altogether. Custom models and maps could be included because they're technically a mod, well technically an add on, but still, we're going to skip them altogether.

Game Play Modifications

DeFRaG
DeFRaG: Is a mod that adds (depending on what version you find) extra maps that help you in self training and practising tricks. It is a kind of free running, trick jumping, agility course. They've changed the menus up a bit and also the HUDs to allow for more info and options. There are lots of options to turn on and off including the grappling hook which was built into Q3A but turned off, it also allows you to choose which kind of grappling action you want.

Akimbo: is a little hard to track down. But it is a great example of adding an extra feature. The main extra feature being the ability to duel wield weapons, two the same or two different. Each hand was associated with each mouse button and I think it was fairly easy to switch between the weapons for both hands.

XCSV: is a very basic mod. It is a high resolution texture pack for Q3A. It replaces all textures for walls, doors, floors, ceilings, etc with a higher resolution version. You can download it here.


There are so many more modifications, replacements, expansions, conversions, etc, you can find for Q3A, the Quake series has always been a popular modding game. There are custom maps and models, along with whole new rendering expansions such as cel-shading. For more look on ModDB, Planet Quake, and the ioquake3 websites.